I am sharing my experiences on recent integration project specifically on Integration Components. This project was integration between Oracle Commerce Cloud and ERP Using Oracle Integration Cloud. So, this will benefit businesses who are looking to do similar integration.
This is part 2 of several articles on Integration solution for Oracle Commerce Cloud (OCC) & Oracle ERP Applications using Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC).
Links to rest of the articles will appear here, when done.
Oracle Commerce Cloud Business Processes & Components
Below are the business processes in online eCommerce.
Shoppers can search & select catalog items after going through product description. In addition, shoppers might get discounts due to promotions or B2B contracts, can view cart, provide shipping details, make payments and place orders. Furthermore, they can check status of order and receive necessary notifications.
Upon placing order, the order request will be sent to backend ERP / Order fulfilment system. In addition, the eCommerce platform provides user experience to shoppers.
With this, we can identify below components in Oracle Commerce Cloud.
- B2B Accounts & Contacts / Shoppers
- Product Catalog, Descriptions & Inventory
- Order / Product Promotions & Prices / Brackets
- Credit, Cash etc Payment Gateway
- Shipping & Taxes Calcuations on Orders
- Custom Fields to link back to ERP identifiers
- Layouts & Design, Widgets, UI & Styling for User Experience
- Server-Side Extensions for custom hooks
Integration Components from Order Fulfillment / ERP Business Processes
The ERP application should have configuration and master data setup in place. Foremost, we need to define items in the system. Next, we should have all functions to support order fulfillment configured. For instance, Serial, Lots, shipping and labels. Below is complete list of Components in ERP.
- Business Establishment & System level Options
- Item, Attributes & OnHand Quantities
- Product Variants, Serial & Lots for efficient inventory management
- Discount Modifiers on Products / Orders
- Shopper / Customer Details & their Addresses
- Payments, Taxes
- Picking Rules, inventory movements, Shipping & Labels
Integration Components (Technical)
Main purpose of integration layer is to support consuming APIs from other systems. In doing so, it should support message structures and transformation. Below are the important Integration components.
- Adapters & Connections to OCC and ERP
- Data Value Mappings for system level lookup
- Message Poll / Trigger Events for real time integration
- Application / Enterprise Business Objects
- Consume REST APIs
- Integration JSON messages & Mappings
- Scope & Fault Handling in integration runs
- Ability to Monitoring Scripts & Audit Exports
Designing Flows for eCommerce and ERP Integrations
After we have identified the entities in business process and application systems, we get the components that participate in integration. So, with this, we can design the integration flows.